Friday, October 25, 2013

Teens and Trick or Treating

I seriously almost decided not to blog this week. I was at such a loss for ideas lately. I got a lot of great feedback on my E-Books post (thanks guys!!), so I'm going to try another interesting topic like that. It just came to me right now as I'm writing this. And with Halloween right around the corner, I think it's appropriate: Teenagers and Trick or Treating.

From what I can tell, a lot of people think anyone over the age of ten should be banned from trick or treating on Halloween. And this is going to sound cynical, and I'm sorry for that, but who's going to stop me? Am I going to be arrested because I'm fifteen and I asked someone for candy?

Alright. That's enough of that.

My mom and I were actually talking about this recently, because I told her I was going to go trick or treating this year. Then we started talking about how old someone can be before it's unacceptable for them to go door to door for candy. We came to the conclusion that it didn't matter how old you were, as long as you were dressed up and said "thank you," you could get all the candy you wanted.

Click the jump to read more!

Don't be this guy.
We all know there's those people who go around wearing their street clothes and carrying pillowcases asking for candy. Those are the people who shouldn't be given candy. The people who say "Oh, I'm
going as myself," when they're asked what they're dressed up as. They think they're outsmarting the system: it's dark, people don't care, and they're getting free candy. I've got news for you guys: we're not as stupid as you think. The only reason we're still giving you candy is because we don't want trouble. Really, don't get all narcissistic because you got a bagful of sugar with little effort. All you've done is annoyed your entire neighborhood.

That being said, the people who actually do dress up for Halloween deserve a pat on the back and an extra candy bar. If someone puts time into making themselves a costume, wouldn't it be rude to say, "Oh, you're too old for this." Plus, I feel like teenagers get a lot of pressure to "grow up" -  get jobs, learn to drive, et cetera And generally, that is justified. I'm even thinking of getting a job next summer 'cause I could use the money. But when you think about it, Halloween's kind of a night where you can dress up however you want and no one's going to care. It's like being a kid again.

Speaking of being a kid, my parents always made sure I said "thank you," when I went trick or treating. The habit stuck, and I'm glad it did. I think it's kind of a given, but I to me, that's a really important thing to do. Granted, I don't always remember to say thanks, but I try my best. Especially if you're an older trick or treater, it's important to be polite to the candy givers, and to younger children as well. One of the main reasons I think parents don't want teens trick or treating is because they get a bad rep for causing shenanigans.

So what do you guys think? Does anyone else feel this way, or am I the only one? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment