Friday, October 18, 2013

Don't Judge a Book by its Cover (But You Will Anyway)

Gosh... I couldn't think of anything to blog about this week. For once, I'm at a loss for words. I guess I'll just keep writing and see what happens!

Well, last Tuesday (the 8th), The House of Hades FINALLY came out! If you don't know, it's the fourth book (or "penultimate" - second to last (yes, I learned that word when the book was released)) in the Heroes of Olympus book series, which is an extension of the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series."Maybe I'll review it sometime, but right now, it's so new and I don't want to accidentally spoil anything. I think it's safe to say that it was a great book though. I can't believe I have to wait another year for the next one. Oh, and I also think it's safe to post the dedication of the book:
"To my wonderful readers:
Sorry about that last cliff-hanger.
Well, no, not really. HAHAHAHA.
But seriously, I love you guys."

That really made my day when I read it. Probably the best book dedication I've ever seen (so far).

On that topic, did you know there's a book coming out called Percy Jackson's Greek Gods? You can read more about that here. Oh, and the cover is pretty!

You know what? I'm going to talk about book covers, at least to start off. I don't know why, but I need something to talk about. It's Thursday night as I'm writing this, so I got a little desperate. Anyways, click the jump to read more about books and covers!

So, despite the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover," people unfortunately do judge books by their covers. Think about it. Wouldn't you be more inclined to read a book with a totally epic cover than just a colored background with the title? My thought is that you want something creative that will grab the attention of your readers. Otherwise, what's going to get them to take the book off of the shelf (besides the title itself).

Japanese cover for
The Red Pyramid
Another thing: Have you ever looked at book covers from other countries? It's kind of a fun experience. Some covers are strange, some are so awesome you wish you had them in your country (Like the Japanese cover for The Red Pyramid). So I have some international book covers here. Why? Because why not.

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
(Japanese Cover)


Personally, I would love to get my hands on some Japanese book covers. Check out the  ones for The Red Pyramid, The Hunger Games, and Uglies. I find the manga-y design very cool.





Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
(UK cover)
That about sums it all up! I'll try to come up with something more interesting for next week, but I hope this works for now. Is there a certain country's cover that you really like? Comment and let me know! I love to hear what you have to say! Oh yeah, and if you have anything you'd like me blog about, let me know! See you next Friday!


The Lightning Thief international covers -- L to R
Top: US, UK, Korean, Unknown
Bottom: Russian, German, Dutch,
The Hunger Games international covers. L to R
Top: US, UK, Taiwan
Bottom: Japan, Russia

No comments:

Post a Comment