Friday, October 11, 2013

E-Books Don't Smell Good (But They Are Convenient)

Reading Only the Good Spy Young
on my iPod touch


Lately, I've been reading the Gallagher Girls book series by Ally Carter (great books, by the way. Like Alex Rider, but more for girls). I had just finished reading Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover, and went to the library to get the next few books. However, much to my dismay, there were no more Gallagher Girls books on the shelf. After researching the four libraries I have cards for (yeah, I know it's obsessive), I learned that only one library had the next book, Only the Good Spy Young, and it wasn't going to be available until the end of October! Desperately, I tried to find another way to read the book. I soon came to the conclusion that the only way to continue the series was to use a new technology, foreign to me.

E-Books.

(You can all gasp in horror now)

I'll be honest: the E-Book experience wasn't all that bad. At first I was pretty nervous because I was reading from my iPod touch. I don't own a Kindle or a Nook or a whatever. All I had was my iPod and its rather small screen. And then I remembered that I read other stuff on my iPod all the time (articles on the internet, stories I've written with friends, etc), so I figured it wouldn't be too terrible. And I was right. After the jump, you'll see that I wrote a PROS/CONS list for E-Books (like Cammie Morgan does all the time). So read on!

PROS AND CONS OF READING AN E-BOOK
 
An E-Book may more convenient, but to
me, the weight of a book is comforting.
PRO - Very convenient. The joke in my house is "Do you know what a portable book is called? A book." But seriously, what's easier? Carrying a book under your arm or sticking your iPod in your pocket? I mean, I was reading this thing everywhere (not that I don't do that with regular books). 

CON - To me, there's nothing like feeling the weight of a book in my hands. Maybe carrying a a book around isn't the easiest thing to do, but I love feeling the pages and holding the book in my hands.

PRO -  You can read in the dark.

CON - Staring at the bright screen for hours at 2 AM probably isn't doing your eyes any favors.

PRO - You can get books without leaving the comfort of your home. I mean, if you've got a Kindle or a Nook, all you do is tap a few things and then bam! You have new book. No traveling, no waiting (unless, of course, you pre-ordered House of Hades in September).

CON - Browsing through bookstores and libraries is one of my favorite things to do. You never know what sorts of things you'll find. For example, I probably never would've read Stormbreaker if I hadn't seen it on the shelf at Barnes & Noble. Sure, Amazon.com has that "Recommended for You" thing, but it still isn't the same.

PRO - Pretty much everything about E-Books is designed to make things easier. I mean, it wouldn't be technology if it didn't, would it? You can fit a gazillion books on a Kindle, which is smaller than one actual book.

CON - E-Books don't smell good. New book smell, old book smell... all books smell good.

So the verdict is... E-Books are nice, and they work for some people. On the other hand, people like me need to be holding a real book in their hands. Now, I've told you my preference, so what's yours? Would you rather read an E-Book or a physical book? Let me know in the comment section!

4 comments:

  1. Love this. Can I share it on my Facebook wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Right above the comment section, you should see a button with the Facebook logo. Click that, and you'll be able to post it to your wall :)

      Delete
  2. I agree! The convenience is great, but there is just something about holding an actual book in your hands. I like to bend the spine and dog ear the pages. It's also a welcomed break from all the technology we are exposed to every day. Thanks for sharing your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the thing about E-books is that they take some getting used to. Being a Kindle user now I'm fine with either source, a story's a story. To be fair though I have to mention that reading E-books from an actual E-reader is a different experience, since an E-reader is designed specifically for reading (the Kindle has page-turning buttons on either side and other features helpful for reading), whereas an iPod or something like that is going to have some inconveniences (smaller screen, sunlight glare, etc.). All in all it's a matter of personal opinion and whatever suites your lifestyle best.

    ReplyDelete