Friday, May 23, 2014

Singers with Amazing Voices

As you've probably noticed from reading my blog, I really like listening to music. The other day, I was thinking and I was trying to figure out who my favorite vocalists are, and so I compiled a list. Not all of them are sing lead, but all of them have amazing voices, and their music is really worth checking out!

(On an extremely coincidental note, I'm watching The Five on TV and they're doing a segment on their favorite singers. Weird, right?)

Jen Ledger
Band(s): Skillet
Notable Songs: "Salvation," "Fire and Fury," "Hero," and "Yours to Hold [Live]"
While Jen isn't the lead vocalist for Skillet (John Cooper is), she has contributed her beautiful voice to many Skillet's songs. She normally plays the drums, but since she joined the band in 2008, she has sung on more than ten different songs. She is an incredible drummer as well, which is especially noticeable at Skillet's live shows.
She's also British. 

 


Stephen Christian
Band(s): Anberlin, Anchor & Braille
Notable Songs: "Alexithymia," "Self-Starter," "City Electric," and "Readyfuels"
Stephen has been the lead vocalist for Anberlin since it was founded in 2002, and for his acoustic side project Anchor & Braille since 2004. He has an incredible and elegant voice, and it's just really... mesmerizing. He's also written a book, The Orphaned Anything's, and started a non-profit
organization, Faceless International.






 


Lacey Sturm (née Mosley)
Band(s): Formerly of Flyleaf
Notable Songs: "The Reason," "New Horizons," "Breathe Today," and "Again"
Ever since listening to Flyleaf for the first time, I've loved Lacey's voice. She has an awesome vocal range, and is very skilled in many different singing techniques. Even though she left Flyleaf in 2012, Lacey has performed a few solo songs, and contributed her testimony to The Cross, a television program done by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. She's a very inspirational person, and I encourage you check out the links I have here!





Trevor McNevan
Band(s): Thousand Foot Krutch, FM Static
Notable Songs: "Favorite Disease," "Tonight," "War of Change," and "Take Me As I Am"
Trevor has been one of my favorites for a long time. He does a fantastic job singing for so many different genres of music, from rap to hard rock to pop punk. He's also done a lot of guest vocals for artists like Hawk Nelson, Manafest, and Nine Lashes. And he's Canadian.








So that's it! Those are (some of) my favorite vocalists! There are plenty of others that I like, but these ranked the highest. Who are your top singers? Let me know in the comments!

Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. So you get extra points for being Canadian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, many of my favorite vocalists are no longer performing -- Brad Delp, Freddie Mercury, Keith Green, Rich Mullins, Karen Carpenter, etc. Even those still with us -- Greg X. Volz ranks pretty high, although he's retired. Recognizing that there are many great artists out there but not as many great vocalists, I would probably have to say Russ Taff is at the time of the list for shear range and ability.

    ReplyDelete