Friday, May 16, 2014

Five Awesome Websites for Writers

I probably could've come up with more than five, but I didn't want to bore you too much.

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post called, "Writing Stuff is Hard." And it is. However, as some of you may be aware, I run a fiction writing club in my school called the Writer's Nook, which meets online every other Friday. As the leader, I have compiled a list of websites that have helped me with my writing, and I thought I'd share some with you today.








1. Writer's Digest
This website has a lot of amazing stuff. Weekly writing prompts, a free e-mail newsletter, contests, and tons of articles about all things writing. If you have questions about publishing or finding an agent, Writer's Digest has a lot of helpful tips and how-to's for that. There are also plenty of things about writer's block, writing dialogue, almost anything you can imagine. The website covers a lot of genres, from romance to sci-fi. I really recommend you at least check it out, but the e-mail newsletter is totally worth subscribing to as well.

2. Helping Writers Become Authors
This website is somewhat similar to Writer's Digest in that it provides a lot of articles for help in different areas of writing.  However, it is a little different, so I encourage you to check this one out as well.



RealTimeBoard. This example is really simple, but you can do so much more with it.
3. RealTimeBoard
Now, I like to use pen and paper or some other physical object to scratch my ideas out on, but if you're looking for a cool alternative, RealTimeBoard is a good place to start. You can add text, shapes, arrows, and even Post-It note like objects. You can also collaborate with other people on the same board, which opens up so many opportunities for collaborative writing.

LitLift's character creator.
(I'm slightly amused that it mentions Sherlock Holmes.)
4. LitLift
This is a great website, especially if you're planning on writing a full-length novel. With LitLift, you can have extensive descriptions of each character, a basic description of all of your settings, and you can even write your chapters right in the website. LitLift also allows you to keep your plotlines organized, and keep track of any points you want in your novel. All in all, it's a great website to use if you're looking for a way to keep your novel-in-progress organized.


The ReadWriteThink Timeline Creator.
As you can see, it's very straightforward and easy to use.
5. ReadWriteThink Timeline Maker
This website is great if you're looking for a simpler way to organize a novel. If you have a lot of ideas for your plot, but have no idea how to order it, this timeline marker is super helpful.

Well, there you have it, those are five websites that have helped me with my writing at some point in time. I hope that you find these sites helpful, and I'll see you next Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment