Friday, January 10, 2014

My Ten Favorite Albums of 2013

I'll get to the point. This is a list of my ten favorite albums I listened to during 2013. Please note that this list isn't exclusive to CDs that were released during 2013. It does include a lot of new music, but there are some albums from a few years back. So... enjoy!


#10 - Dear Diary by FM Static
Notable songs - "Boy Moves Into a New Town With an Optimistic Outlook," "Man Whatcha Doin?" and "Take Me as I Am"
I've talked about Dear Diary on this blog before, but if you're not familliar with it, it is a concept album about a boy who moves to a new town and recounts the events in his diary. It's a very interesting story, and I really encourage you to give it a listen! Even better, buy the CD and read the story that some with!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/The_Chase.jpg

#9 - The Chase by Manafest
Notable songs - "Avalanche," "Every Time You Run," and "I'm Better 'Cause of You."
I just recently started listening to Manafest, probably in the last year or so. His style is sort of a rap/hip-hop/rock kind of thing. It took a while for me to get used to, but one of my favorite musicians, Trevor McNevan, has collaborated with Manafest on many of his songs, so that got me hooked. The Chase is probably the most rock-sounding album, and I really enjoy it, so check it out!

#8 - Release The Panic by RED
Notable songs - "Release the Panic," "Hold Me Now," "Glass House."
Release The Panic was just released this year, and my brother gave it to me for my birthday. I have the special edition, which includes some remixes and other bonus songs. I really like the theme of this CD, with all the sci-fi-ness. The album art is great, by the way, and the music videos are awesome!



#7 - Cities by Anberlin
Notable songs - "Godspeed," "Hello Alone," and "(Fin*)"
I sort of bought this CD on a whim. I had been listening to Anberlin on and off, but I had never liked them enough to actually buy an album. I started listening to Cities, and I really loved it. Stephen Christian, the lead vocalist, has an amazing voice. You should go listen to it - "Hello Alone," is my favorite song.

#6 - Embellish EP by The Jellyrox
Notable songs - "Someone Else," "Fade to Fiction," and "Your Oasis."
This is just an EP, so it obviously doesn't have as many songs as a normal album. The Jellyrox is a side project started by Eleventyseven lead vocalist Matt Langston, and it focuses on electronic music. Normally, I wouldn't listen to that sort of music, but I decided to give it a shot. Something about Embellish EP makes me really happy, I guess. Maybe it's that sort of cute, poppy sound. I don't know. Whatever it is, I listened to this nonstop for a few weeks last year.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4665607018578751&pid=15.1

#5 - Rhythm & Moves by Capital Lights
Notable songs - "Rhythm & Moves," "Caroline," and "Save the Last Dance."
I started listening to this later in the year, probably because I usually get in a Capital Lights mood right around Christmas (blame it on "His Favorite Christmas Story"). The first time I listened to Rhythm & Moves, I wasn't really sure what I thought of it. Capital Lights' first album, This is an Outrage! had always seemed much better to me, but for some reason I changed my mind this year. Capital Lights is a totally underrated band, so give them some love and listen to both of their albums.

#4 - Hawk Nelson is my Friend by Hawk Nelson
Notable songs - "Friend Like That," "Arms Around Me," and "Words We Speak."
If you read last weekend's blog post, you'll know that I received Hawk Nelson is my Friend for Christmas, and there's a reason I wanted it. Hawk Nelson is incredible, with the same sort of sound as Relient K. Other than this album, I also like their songs "California," and "Bring 'Em Out."

#3 - Business Up Front/Party In The Back by Family Force Five
Notable songs - "Kountry Gentleman," "Love Addict," and "Supersonic."
I've been listening to the album for a really long time. It was probably the first music I really listened to, ever since a friend of mine burned me a copy of his CD. Anyway, to put a long story short, I saw FF5 live this summer, so before the concert I decided to catch up on their music. Since then, I've been listening to a lot of their music, old and new, but this album will probably always be my favorite from them.

#2 - Icon For Hire by Icon For Hire
Notable songs - "Cynics & Critics," "Sorry About Your Parents," "Fix Me."
I saw Icon for Hire last year at a concert festival, and since then I've been listening to a lot of their music. Their self-titled album was just released this year, and although it differs from their first album, Scripted, it's just as good.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/31/RiseSkilletAlbumCover.jpg

#1 - Rise by Skillet 
Notable songs - "Sick of It," "Circus for a Psycho," and "Salvation."
How many of you saw this one coming? ...Okay, all of you put your hands down. Seriously though, this album is amazing! I'm actually inclined to say it's my favorite Skillet album, but Comatose has always been a favorite as well. That's beside the point though. Rise is an awesome album that tells an awesome story, and it's totally worth listening to.

And that's it! What were your favorite albums of 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment