Friday, December 06, 2013

However, I Did Not Catch Fire

I went to go see the movie Catching Fire on Monday and it was so awesome! Anyway, I thought I'd go ahead and talk about it a little bit. This is probably going to be shorter than normal, since I've been a bit busy with school and getting ready for Christmas and whatnot. But anyway, I really, really, really wanted to talk about Catching Fire. At the moment, it's my favorite book to movie adaptation I've seen.

For those who don't know, Catching Fire is a sequel to the movie The Hunger Games (released in 2012). Both movies are adaptations of the books of the same name, written by Suzanne Collins. You should totally go read them. (Or, if you're not a that much of a reader, you can check out this for some background information).

For starters, the first movie pales in comparison. If anyone saw it, you probably know that the fire effects on Katniss and Peeta's clothes look like they had been done ten years ago. Not that it was a bad movie, but I think it could have been better. Catching Fire, on the other hand...

Click the jump!

I'll try not to spoil too much for the movie or the book, but be warned that there may be some spoilers for The Hunger Games.

Let's start with the obvious - there are many, many differences between the movie and the book. This, however, does not make the movie a horrible movie. As I've said before, movies have more constraints than books do. In a book you can write as much as you want, there isn't any constraint. You don't have a budget for writing a book. However, in a movie, you do. How can you fit a four hundred-page book in a two hour movie? It sounds hard.

So yes, there were some things that were left out of the movie. Honestly though, it didn't bother me too much. The movie still told the same story, and it still conveyed the same message. Considering Collins was part of the screenwriting team, I'm positive she approved of the changes.

I'm going to stop here now, but I'll probably come back to talking about The Hunger Games sometime. I would totally recommend seeing Catching Fire (but at least watch The Hunger Games first). Anyway, have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment