Friday, December 13, 2013

Christmas Music

It's that time of year again. The time when your local radio station plays the same set of Christmas songs over and over and over again until you're ready to punch Rudolph in the nose. Well, I may have the solution for you.

Now, I have nothing against Christmas music. It's just that... Well, it's often overplayed or repetitive. I've made my own Christmas music playlist of songs by some of my favorite bands, whether they're original or covers of other songs.

For starters, if you like bands like Hawk Nelson, Switchfoot, Anberlin, Kutless, Thousand Foot Krutch, or Sanctus Real, then you should check out the album X Christmas. It's part of the X series of compilation albums put out by BEC recordings, and it features all of the artists mentioned above, plus a few more. A lot of the songs are covers, but there are a few originals like "His Favorite Christmas Story." You can listen to the entire album here.

Want more Christmas music? Click the jump!


If you're a fan of the band August Burns Red, you probably already know of their album Sleddin' Hill. Personally, August Burns Red isn't really my thing, but I do enjoy listening to their holiday album. If you like instrumental Christmas music, I encourage you to check out Sleddin' Hill. You can listen to it in it's entirety here.

Let's see... what else what else. Oh! I know. Relient K has a Christmas album called Let it Snow, Baby... Let it Reindeer. I haven't listened to the whole thing, but I will say that my favorite song on the album is their cover of "12 Days of Christmas." Like X Christmas, this album mostly has covers of traditional Christmas songs, but there are about six original songs written by Matt Thiessen (the lead vocalist for Relient K). You can listen to the album here.

This is similar to X Christmas, but there's a series of compilation albums called Happy Christmas. The first one was released in 1998, and there are five volumes total. Each one features a different set of artists. I couldn't find YouTube playlists for all of them, but you can check out the track listings below.
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5

One more album, I promise. And I'll make this one quick. Family Force 5 has their own holiday album as well, called Family Force 5's Christmas Pageant. Check it out here.

Finally, to wrap this all up, I have a few miscellaneous Christmas songs that I enjoy listening to.The last two are included in X Christmas, but they are my favorites, so I wanted to point them out separately.

Christmas Song - Flyleaf
O Holy Night - Flyleaf
Do You Hear What I Hear? - Flyleaf
His Favorite Christmas Story - Capital Lights
Christmas Shoes - FM Static

What's your favorite Christmas song? Do you have a favorite band that's covered a Christmas song? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment: