Friday, June 21, 2013

Things Change. Get Used to it.

This might make some people mad at me.
Not that it really matters, because no one really reads this, haha, but still. Anyway, this blog will probably focus on music and other nonsense surrounding it. For starters - GUYS. Rise comes out in FOUR DAYS. Listen to the singles:

Sick of It
American Noise
Rise
Not Gonna Die

...Anyway.

The real reason I decided to blog is this: People complaining about the ways bands sound. I was listening to one of the new Skillet songs for like the hundredth time, so I flipped through some comments on YouTube. People say things like, "I miss the way they used to sound..." or "This is so different from the way they used to be..." And I think, "No DUH." Of course a band is going to sound different album to album. I mean, what do you expect? They get new members, listen to new music, get influenced by different things. Case in point - listen to the following Skillet songs in order. It's the first track off of their last four albums.

Alien Youth (Alien Youth)
Forsaken (Collide)
Rebirthing (Comatose)
Hero (Awake)

To those of you who actually listened to those songs, give yourself a pat on the back. Anyway, do you see my point? The band's sound changed through time. It's perfectly normal for that to happen. There's no use in complaining and saying, "I wish they stayed the same" or "What happened to the old [band]?"
Click to make it bigger!

And yes, I do understand that even if a band stayed the same way, people would still complain. I saw
this graphic (see right) once on Anberlin's Instagram page. Seems about right to me. No matter what you do, people are gonna criticize. Still, I think some fans need to realize that bands will change. That's just the way it goes - nothing can stay the same forever.

Which leads me to my next topic.
Click the jump!



Flyleaf. Now I know this is a touchy subject for some, so if you are offended by me discussing Lacey/Kristen, then turn away now.
Yeah, that was sarcasm.

Flyleaf is releasing an EP called Who We Are. My understanding is that it's going to have a bunch of live songs from their tour with Drowning Pool, along with a brand-new song called "Something Better." It's one of the first songs they've written with Kristen May, and honestly, I think it sounds great. Maybe it's not the hard, upset sound they had before, but I think it's a nice change. More like "New Horizons" y'know? It has that happy, upbeat feeling without sounding poppy.

Moving on, when I saw this on Flyleaf's Facebook page, I happened to see some comments. I see them on everything involving Flyleaf, and they go something like this: "AHH Flyleaf isn't the same anymore without Lacey she's the reason I loved this band and now that she's gone I'll never listen to them again. PLEASE BRING LACEY BACK!!!!!!!!" And yeah, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. So here's what I'm going to say to that:

1) It's not like she left because she hated everyone in the band and there was a big fight or whatever. She left so she could spend time with her husband and kids. And yes, there are musicians (see: John and Korey Cooper) who still perform and take care of their families at the same time, but I can't imagine how hard that could be. Lacey's decision makes perfect sense to me.

2) Lacey was NOT the only member of the band. This may come as a shock to some. But, belive it or not, Flyleaf also consists of a bass player, two guitarists, and a drummer. All of them are very talented musicians in their own right. Just because she left doesn't mean the band no longer exists.

3) Yes, I understand that Lacey was a big part of the band and we all loved her. But look guys, it's time to move on. If you like Kristen, then yay, enjoy the new music like me. If you don't like Kristen, then stop spamming every single Flyleaf post with how much you hate her. It comes off as immature, and Kristen has feelings too.

Alrighty, I think I'm done. I'm guess I'm sorry if I offended anyone.  I really need to blog more. Someone, please remind me to blog more. Anyway, I love you guys for reading my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment