Monday, May 13, 2013

Sorry it's Been a While




I've been busy with... stuff. Like school, my birthday, solving the world's problem, and other nonsense. So, what do I have to say? Well, I've decided on a summer writing project, I saw a play, and there are some singles out for Rise. I'll start with the play.

(L to R) Hillary, Stargirl, and Leo.
I recently went on a school field trip to see a play adaptation of Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. If you've never read the book (you totally should though), I'll try not to give anything away. Anyway, the play stayed pretty close to the plot of the book (unlike a certain movie adaptation of a certain book that I won't mention aloud), and I really enjoyed watching it. The Stargirl is a great book that I think anyone would enjoy.
(L to R) Leo and Kevin from Stargirl
writer also left the ending alone, which I was grateful for. I'm afraid to say anything else, but I will say that

The photos of the Stargirl play are from The People's Light and Theatre website.

And now... Oh, right, my project. Click the jump for more!

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------




The old cover for Subject 10
Alrighty, so I'm going to try and at least have a draft of Subject 10 done by the end of the summer. Now, if you've read the version I have on the writing page here on my blog, that's not what I'm working on. I'm using the same idea of experiments and testing still, just starting from a different point. Like, instead of beginning with Addison's kidnapping and childhood, I'm starting with her teenage years and escape. I have a bunch of fragments I want to use, too, so that helps. Oh yes, and if you're interested, here's the prologue I wrote for it:






The corridor was long and dark. Full of monsters, the young girl thought. She was only ten, and though she had thought she had given up all of those childish fears, they returned the second she woke up in the foreign building. One minute she had been sleeping peacefully in bed, and the next minute she was in concrete room. A strange woman had come into her cell, grabbed her wrist, and pulled her down the hallway without a word.
At the end of the hall was a small room. It didn’t have much in it, but it was enough to make the child squirm. It was an operation room. The girl gave the woman a terrified look with her wild blue eyes and tried to escape once more by kicking her attacker in the shin. Surprisingly, her wrist was freed, but only a second later the woman grabbed a fistful of the girls’ sunshine hair and threw her onto the examination table.
Immediately, steel cuffs sprang out of the table and snapped around the girls’ neck, wrists, and ankles to restrain her kicks and screams. They got tighter until she was nearly suffocating. Once the girl had finally stopped struggling and fallen unconscious because of her lack of oxygen, the woman injected more anesthesia and began the operation.
 Upon awakening, the girl found herself in the cell again. This time, there was a mirror on the wall. As she approached it, the girl nearly fainted. Her hair was blue, her eyes violet.
 “Welcome to Nastex, Addison Sparks,” a voice boomed, “Or, should I say, Subject 10.”
Keep in mind that it's still a rough draft, but I hope you like it! I'll try to keep you guys updated on it.
-------------------------------------
And last but not least, Skillet. Both "Sick of It" and "American Noise" have been released on iTunes as singles, and the third single, "Rise" is supposed to come out tomorrow, May 14. If you want to listen to these great songs, there are links for you below:
And as a treat, here's a video I found of Skillet performing "Circus for a Psycho" live. Unfortunately, it cuts off like right before the guitar solo, but it's still fun to listen to!

That's about all I have to say for now, hopefully I'll remember to write again soon! (Maybe I'll tell you about my birthday)

No comments:

Post a Comment