Friday, April 25, 2014

Spring Cleaning -- Jewelry Organization Tips

Yep, it's that time of year again, the time when you realize you have so much stuff without a home and you need to do something about it. Actually, going off on a tangent here, but why do people call it "Spring Cleaning?" I mean, I get that Spring makes you want things to be all nice and new and clean, but why just limit it to spring?

Enough rhetorical questions - let's get down to business. 

Jewelry is one of the toughest things to organize in my opinion, because it comes in so many shapes and sizes. I always have trouble figuring out ways to store it, but I have found some solutions that might work for you! Or, at the very least, maybe they'll give you some ideas. And I'll just make a quick recommendation here - If you look for "jewelry organization" or "jewelry storage" on Pinterest, there are tons of ideas and DIYs that you can do.

Anyway, click the jump to see what I've done to keep my jewelry organized, along with some other ideas I found along the way.

For stud earrings, all you need are some little storage drawers (like this one), and some craft styrofoam. For this one, I actually used the sort of styrofoam you use to arrange fake flowers, which was cheaper. To keep it from getting all over the place, I hot-glued some fabric (I used old jeans, but you can use other fabrics too) to it. Then, all you have to do is cut the foam down so that it fits in the drawer, and there you go!

When you store your earrings, you can choose to leave the backs on them, but I took mine off. As you can see from the picture on the left, the foam is a great way to keep pairs of earrings together. If you're really crazy about organizing, you can even sort them by color (which I did), but it's obviously not necessary.





The above method also works for some fishhook earrings, but not all. The way I store most of my fishhook earrings is by using an embroidery hoop (this thing) with fabric in it. Again, I used an old pair of jeans, but any sort of fabric works. Then, all you have to do is hang it up and poke your earrings through the fabric.



For necklaces, you can use a corkboard with pushpins to hang them (see left), or you can try this idea. Another thing I found was using a towel rack and shower hooks, as well as wooden clothespins nailed to a piece of wood.







 As for your bracelets, you can use a paper towel holder to stack them, as shown demonstrated in the image to the right. Another idea I found was this, using accordion hooks to hand bracelets (and necklaces, too). 





That's about all of the advice I have to give today, I hope you found this post at least somewhat helpful! I wish you all a great weekend, and enjoy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment