Monday, September 17, 2012

Uprise Fest 2012

Did I mention this yet? No? Huh. What's wrong with me?
The main stage from our seats on the
hill. Except we were down there
standing 90% of the time. It was epic.

OH YEAH! Right. So on Saturday (Sept. 15) went on a 2-hour drive out to this Christian music concert known as Uprise Festival. And you better believe it was a blast! It was like a mini Creation Fest basically, it was Friday and Saturday, but it involved camping, so we only went Saturday. Anyway, it was me, my dad, and my friends Jess, Patrick, Libby and Zach. My dad and a bunch of teenagers. Actually, come to think of it, we really weren't all that annoying. Nobody talked on the ride there (I mean it was so early), and everyone slept on the way home. But wither way, it was an awesome time. Seeing Disciple, Thousand Foot Krutch, TobyMac, Peter Furler, Icon For Hire, and a bunch of other bands was totally fun. So um, if you want to hear more about it and maybe see some video links, click the jump.

We arrived at the fairgrounds around... Um, I'd say roughly 9 -9:30 am. The first concert was at 10:30, so we seriously had some time to kill. Let's see, the five of us wandered around the fairgrounds for a decent amound of time, looked at all of the vendors more than once, were ofered to throw rocks at this one guy (long story), and then eventually just sat down and waited for the first band, Reilly, to start. They were okay I guess. Not my kind of music, but pretty good anyway. Libby described them as "wannabe Skillet". They performed a number of songs, but the only one I remember is called "Sunlight". You can watch their music video for it with that link, unfortunately I can't find any footage of them from Uprise.
After Reilly, there was another band called Mikeschair. I'll be honest with you, I had no idea who they were. But again, they weren't all that bad. And don't ask me, because I have no idea where the name comes from. But it was hilarious then the announcer said, "We'll be right back with Mikeschair," because me and my friends all joked they they were gonna bring out an actual chair that had the word "Mike" on it. I dunno, you kinda had to be there.
After Mikeschair, we broke for lunch. I was almost dragged into buying Chex Mix from this crazy salesgirl, but that's another story for another time.
Disciple. I think I took this right before
they started performing "Invisible"
And then the real fun began. That's right, Disciple was next! Alright, so it was really just Patrick, Zach, and I that were excited, but all five of us went down to the stage anyway. And it was just freaking awesome. They opened up their show with "Watch it Burn", then played "Game On" and "The Ballad of St. Augustine" right after. And yes, if you've heard the album version of "The Ballad of St. Augustine", I can now verify that he actually does hold that scream for a whole twelve seconds. So after those three songs, Kevin Young, the lead singer, talked a little bit about a (if I remember correctly) book/devotional thing they had been doing, and then the band started playing "Invisible", which made my day. It is, without a doubt, my all time favorite Disciple song. I mean, if you've never heard it, go look for it right now. It's so relateable sometimes, and the lyrics are absolutely amazing. Trust me, you'll like it.

Patrick getting
Kevin Young's autograph

Once "Invisible was over, there was a short introduction for Disciple's newest single, "Draw the Line". I really think that that song is much better live that the actual recorded version is, but maybe that's just me. Maybe that fact that Disciple just knows how to put on a good show is the reason... But moving on, "Battle Lines" and "Shot Heard 'Round The World" were next, followed by "Dear X". Disciple really did a good job in picking all of their best songs for this show. I was impressed! Oh, and to close the show, they performed "Scars Remain" and "Rise Up". Unfortunately, Micah didn't do any backflips at Uprise, but "Rise Up" is still a great song to end a show with. Oh man, I was so out of breath at the end of that! But it was a good kind of out of breath, if that's possible.
Signed CD!
Oh yeah, and Disciple signed autographs after the show! I got my "Horseshoes & Handgrenades" CD signed!  

So yeah, that was Disciple. Thousand Foot Krutch, the other band I was totally psyched to see, didn't perform until about 5:40 that evening, so the five of us killed some more time by watching Icon For Hire perform songs like "Theatre",  "Off With Her Head", and "Get Well". Patrick eventually ended up buying their album "Scripted", and he got it signed by two of the band members (the other(s) were eating dinner...?). And then we watched Building 429 and Peter Furler for a little bit. The only song I really knew well was "Breakfast". Again, look for it on YouTube (although it'll be under Newsboys as the artist)

TFK on stage!!

Okay, after that, TFK was scheduled to perform. All five of us were waiting the autograph line for Peter Furler, but after about fifteen minutes, Patrick and I left to go see TFK. I mean, that was who we came here to see. Zach joined us a few minutes later, but Libby and Jess stayed in line. We didn't see them until after the show.
Anyway, Thousand Foot Krutch started off with one of their new songs, "We Are". I was kinda expecting it, but I was really hoping they would've played "Welcome to the Masquerade" first. Oh well. After that, TFK performed "Move" and "Let The Sparks Fly". "Move", well, I can say I was surprised by that. But then they played "Rawkfist", which seemed like an obvious choice to me. It's a good concert song, I think, and one of those ones that's always gonna be popular no matter how old it is. Oh, and while I'm here, I'm just gonna mention that Trevor McNevan, the lead singer, had the awesomest coat. I wanted it :P
Trevor McNevan
Let me think... after "Rawkfist" was another newer song, "Be Somebody". I know, it's not as heavy as some of their other music, but it's a great song to check out. And, while I'm at it, so is "War of Change", the song they performed next. Then they did "Falls Apart", another older song, but still a great one. Then, "The End is Where We Begin", "Light Up The Sky", and last but not least, "Fire It Up." Great show, and super energetic. Right now, I'm kinda having a hard time deciding on who put on a better show, Disciple or TFK.

Then, later that night, starting around 8:45 - 9 o'clock, the headliner, TobyMac, came on stage. Really, I'm not a big TobyMac fan. I mean, "Tonight", "Gone", and maybe a few others I know, but that's it. So I wasn't completely excited to watch him, like I was with Disciple and TFK. But I really did think he's better live. It was a fun concert, and it was packed! I mean, seriously, I could almostmaybedefinitelynot breathe! Crazy!

So I won't bore you with any more details there, other than that all of us (except Jess and my dad) slept on the way home. It was a long, epic day. Oh, and we all got sunbruned too and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with a sore neck but - It was totally worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment